iiRDS enables the delivery and exchange of intelligent information. The standard has been developed by tekom (tcworld) since 2016. With the help of iiRDS, we can link content from different manufacturers using metadata, make the content accessible to machines and people in a targeted manner, and exchange it between systems via standard format.
Since the beginning, parson has been involved in the development and documentation of the standard. At conferences and talks, we report on the status of the development and its practical application. In this blog, we want to answer some of the most frequent questions we have been getting.
- Which companies already use iiRDS?
- Do I need a content management system to use iiRDS?
- Do I have to use all iiRDS metadata?
Which companies already use iiRDS?
Several companies use iiRDS or are working on the implementation of the standard. Prominent examples are Siemens, SMA, and Zeiss. You can find more information, for example, in presentations by these companies and consultants at the tcworld conference and on the website of the iiRDS consortium (best practices).
Zeiss and Pantopix
Siemens, IAI Linguistic Content, and DOSCO
iiRDS in selected industries
Do I need a content management system to use iiRDS?
No. Basically, you need the following tools for iiRDS:
- XML editor for creating structured content and assigning metadata. You can also create structured content with iiRDS metadata with an XML editor without a content management system, e.g. in DITA with oXygen. Here you need a DITA specialization for the iiRDS metadata. You can develop the specialization yourself or use ready-to-use plug-ins like parson Smart Content.
- Converter for generating the output formats and the iiRDS packages. To generate iiRDS packages, also from existing documents into PDF, you can also use converter tools by plusmeta or c-rex.net.
- Content delivery platform to import and process the iiRDS packages and publish the intelligent information
Do I have to use all iiRDS metadata?
No. You can select the metadata that matches your content delivery scenarios.
Use the metadata that makes your content more discoverable and filterable for your target audiences. By the way, in the iiRDS specification, all mandatory elements of the standard are marked as MUST. There are only very few of them. Among other things, the directory structure in the iiRDS package must be adhered to and each information unit must have a unique identification (IRI). See iiRDS specification (registration required).
Do you also have a question about iiRDS?
Please use the comment form or write us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
You also find more information about iiRDS on our website.